Mr Henry D.E. Atkinson
Lower Limb Surgeon
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, The North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust
MBChB, BSc (Hons), MRCS, FRCS Ed (Tr & Orth)
Secretary: Frankie Weavers - 0207 496 3563 email@example.com
- 31 Old Broad Street, The City
- The London Bridge Hospital
- BMI The Kings Oak Hospital
- Highgate Hospital
- BMI Hendon Hospital
- The Wellington Hospital
- Sports injuries of the lower limb
- Knee arthroscopy
- Meniscal repair and ligament reconstruction
- Hip, knee and ankle joint replacement surgery plus revision joint replacement surgery
- Foot and ankle surgery including minimally invasive bunion surgery
- Ankle arthroscopy
- Deputy Clinical Director for Theatres and Anaesthetics, North Middlesex University Hospital
- Assistant Professor, St George’s University School of Medicine
- Visiting Professor, Belgrade Medical School, Serbia
- Honorary Clinical Tutor, University of Edinburgh
- President of the Orthopaedic World Literature Society OWLS
- Journal Reviewer for the British Medical Journal, The World Journal of Orthopaedics, The Journal of Orthopaedics Surgery and Research, The Annals of Surgery, The Knee, The British Journal of Sports Medicine, British Journal of Medicine and
- Medical Research, Collegium Antropologicum
Henry was raised in Hampstead Garden Suburb and now lives in Temple Fortune with his wife and young family. He was educated at Christs College School, Finchley and then Westminster School, London. He is very much a family man, and in his remaining spare time enjoys DJing and writing music, cooking, and most sports in particular snowboarding, sailing and windsurfing.
Medical & Surgical Training
Henry qualified in Medicine from the University of Edinburgh in July 1998, and completed basic surgical training in Edinburgh on the South-East of Scotland BST rotation; attaining the Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (MRCS) in 2001. He became Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS) in Trauma and Orthopaedics in 2006, and completed his Specialist Registrar training in Trauma and Orthopaedics on the Imperial College North West Thames rotation in July 2008.
His UK Orthopaedic training has included periods at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh,the Princess Margaret Rose Hospital, Edinburgh, Central Middlesex Hospital, Charing Cross Hospital, Northwick Park Hospital, The Hillingdon Hospital, Mount Vernon Hospital, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, St Mary’s Hospital and the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore.
Henry was appointed as a Consultant Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon at North Middlesex University hospital in September 2009.
During the first half of 2008 Henry undertook a Foot and Ankle Fellowship at the University of Toronto, St Michaels Hospital in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, working with Dr Tim Daniels.
He gained Fellowship training in:
- Sports injuries of the foot and ankle
- Bunion Surgery
- Forefoot Reconstruction
- Complex Hindfoot Deformity
- Diabetic Foot Management
- Total Ankle Replacement
Henry then undertook a 12 month Sports Medicine and Lower Limb Arthroplasty Fellowship at SportsMed SA, in Adelaide, Australia, working with Drs Greg Keene, Roger Oakeshott and David Martin.
Henry gained Fellowship training in:
- Sports injuries of the knee, hip and ankle
- Arthroscopic and Minimally Invasive Sports Medicine Surgery
- Ligament reconstruction, Meniscal surgery and soft-tissue reconstruction
- Hip and Knee Primary and Revision Replacement Surgery
- Computer Navigation Surgery
Henry undertook a 4-month Trauma Surgical Elective in Belgrade, Serbia in 1997 where he was first exposed to major trauma patients and the consequences of the civil war. He worked with Drs from the Clinical Center for Serbia, the VMA Military Hospital in Belgrade, The Special Hospital for Orthopaedic Surgery Banjica in Belgrade, and The Institute of Medicine at Sremska Kamenica, Novi Sad, Serbia. He has regularly visited Belgrade since that time and in 2009 underwent further specialist trauma fellowship training before taking up his Consultant post back in the UK.
Henry gained Fellowship training in:
- Complex Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery
- Lower Limb Deformity and Limb reconstruction
- Circular Frame Fixation
During his surgical elective Henry established good links with the Belgrade Medical School and the University Hospitals, which continue to this day. Over a decade of conflict and economic sanctions placed an enormous strain on a previously robust public healthcare system, and witnessing first-hand the devastating effects of civil war strengthened his desire to support the medical community there. Apart from lecturing at the medical faculty, senior staff regularly asked him for guidanceand assistance in promoting quality research.
In recent years Henry has assisted in the publication of many scientific papers in a variety of subject areas. He has been involved in the design and overseeing of studies, ensuring appropriate use of statistical tools and interpretation of results, and has gained invaluable experience as a supervisor and reviewer of medical literature.
Henry is committed to excellence in patient care and believes that research, development and audit are important components to the promotion of high quality healthcare in the UK. He is proud that even at a distance, and in subjects not directly related to his speciality, that he has been able to share these ideals and important developments with the wider medical community.
Henry has a keen interest in research and medical education. He has published over 60 original scientific journal articles, and has over 200 other publications.
Orthopaedic Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Tibial tubercle advancement osteotomy with bone allograft for patellofemoral arthritis: a retrospective cohort study of 50 knees. Atkinson HD, Bailey CA, Anand S, Johal P, Oakeshott RD.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2011 Nov 24. [Epub ahead of print]PMID: 22113435
- The treatment of scaphoid nonunion using the Ilizarov fixator without bone graft, a study of 18 cases.Bumbaširevic M, Tomic S, Lešic A, Bumbaširevic V, Rakocevic Z, Atkinson HD. J Orthop Surg Res. 2011 Nov 8;6:57. PMID: 22067958
- Meniscal Regeneration: A Cause of Persisting Pain following Total Knee Arthroplasty. Matar HE, Dala-Ali B, Atkinson HD. Case Report Med. 2011;2011:761726. Epub 2011 Sep 20. PMID: 21941562
- Pseudogout Associated Hip Pain in a Patient with HIV Infection. Dala-Ali BM, Welck M, Lloyd MA, Atkinson HD. Case Report Med. 2010;2010:842814. Epub 2010 Dec 20. PMID: 21209737
- Thalassemia major. A report of two cases with severe skeletal involvement. Lesic A, Bogdanovic A, Sudjic V, Suvajdzic-Vukovic N, Atkinson HD, Bumbasirevic M. Acta Chir Iugosl. 2010;57(2):99-102.PMID: 20949709
- Bilateral hip arthroplasty: is 1-week staging the optimum strategy? Atkinson HD, Bailey CA, Willis-Owen CA, Oakeshott RD. J Orthop Surg Res. 2010 Nov 6;5:84.PMID: 21054889
- Bone mineral density in the femoral neck increases after hip resurfacing: a cohort with five-year follow-up. Willis-Owen CA, Atkinson HD, Oakeshott RD. Int Orthop. 2010 Aug 22. PMID: 20730585
- Physiotherapy and rehabilitation following soft tissue surgery of the knee, HDE Atkinson, JM Laver, E Sharp. Orthopaedics and Trauma 2010; 24(2):129-38.
- Pre- and postoperative gait analysis following conversion of tibiotalocalcaneal fusion to total ankle arthroplasty. Atkinson HD, Daniels TR, Klejman S, Pinsker E, Houck JR, Singer S. Foot Ankle Int. 2010 Oct;31(10):927-32. PMID: 20964976
- Differences in hip morphology between the sexes in patients undergoing hip resurfacing. Atkinson HD, Johal KS, Willis-Owen C, Zadow S, Oakeshott RD. J Orthop Surg Res. 2010 Oct 15;5(1):76. PMID: 20950444
- A case report of a septic hip secondary to a psoas abscess. Dala-Ali BM, Lloyd MA, Janipireddy SB, Atkinson HD.J Orthop Surg Res. 2010 Sep 16;5(1):70. PMID: 20846379
- Granuloma debridement and the use of an injectable calcium phosphate bone cement in the treatment of osteolysis in an uncemented total knee replacement. Atkinson HD, Ranawat VS, Oakeshott RD. J Orthop Surg Res. 2010 Apr 27;5:29.PMID: 20423519
- An aggressive chondroblastoma of the knee treated with resection arthrodesis and limb lengthening using the Ilizarov technique. Tomic S, Lesic A, Bumbasirevic M, Sopta J, Rakocevic Z, Atkinson HD. J Orthop Surg Res. 2010 Jul 28;5:47.PMID: 20667131
- The challenge of osteo-articular tuberculosis in the twenty-first century: a 15-year population-based study. Lesic AR, Pesut DP, Markovic-Denic L, Maksimovic J, Cobeljic G, Milosevic I, Atkinson HD, Bumbasirevic M. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2010 Sep;14(9):1181-6.PMID: 20819266
- Bone mineral density in the femoral neck increases after hip resurfacing: a cohort with five-year follow-up. Willis-Owen CA, Atkinson HD, Oakeshott RD. Int Orthop. 2010 Aug 22. [Epub ahead of print]PMID: 20730585
- Adductor Tenotomy. Its role in the management of sports-related chronic groin pain. HDE Atkinson, P Johal, M Falworth, VS Ranawat, B Dala-Ali, DK Martin. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2009 Dec 24. Link
- Validation of orthopaedic bench models for trauma surgery, JJH Leong, DR Leff, A Das, R Aggarwal, P Reilly, HDE Atkinson, RJ Emery, AW Darzi, JBJS Br. 2008;90(7):958-65. Link
- Nonunion-pseudoarthrosis of the scaphoid bone treated with percutaneous fixation with compression and distraction. MZ Bumbarisevic, SM Tomic, AR lesic, HDE Atkinson. Acta ChirIugo. 2009 Mar 1;55(4):75-80. DOI:10.2298/ACI0804075B
- Verrucous carcinoma of the foot a case report, A Lesic, M Nikolic, J Sopta, B Starcevic, M Bumbarisevic, HDE Atkinson, J Orthop Surg. 2008 16(2):251-3. Link
- Plastic Deformity of the talar dome due to osteochondral defect a case report, D Trigkilidas, HDE Atkinson, P Rosenfeld, Foot Ankle Int. 2008; 29(6):630-2. Link
- The Epidemiology of hip fractures in Belgrade, SCG, 1990-2000, A.Lesic, M. Jarebinski, T.Pekmezovic, M. Bumbarisevic, HDE Atkinson. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2007127(3):179-83. Link
- A radiographic and clinical comparison of two soft-tissue procedures for paralytic subluxation of the hip in cerebral palsy, G Cobelic, Z Bajin, A Lesic, M Bumbarisevic, HDE Atkinson, Int Orthop. 2009 Apr;33(2):503-8. Epub 2007 Sep 26. Link
- Ilizarov frame fixation without bone graft for atrophic humeral shaft non-union: 28 patients with a minimum 2-year follow-up, S Tomic, A. Lesic, M. Bumbarisevic, M. Mitkovic, HDE Atkinson, J Orthop Trauma, 2007; 21(8):549-556. Link
- Arthroscopic appearances of the meniscofemoral ligaments: introducing the meniscal tug test, CM Gupte, HDE Atkinson, AMJ Bull, RD Thomas, RK Strachan, AA Amis. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc, 2006; 14(12):1259-65. http://www.springerlink.com Link
- Malignant intraosseous peripheral nerve sheath tumor of the proximal femur-a case report, A Lesic, M Bumbarisevic, HDE Atkinson, R Maksimovic, J Sopta, M Atanackovic, J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong),14(1):84-89, 2006. http://www.josonline.org/jr/ci.html Link
- A Comparison of Thoracoplastic Techniques in the Treatment of Rib Prominence, M Filipovic, HDE Atkinson, ZB Milinkovic, Z Poleksic, V Basara, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (BR), Vol. 80-B, Suppl. III: 238, 1998.
Surgical Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Perigastric extraskeletal Ewing’s sarcoma: A case report. RB Colovic, NM Grubor, MT Micev,SV Matic, HDE Atkinson, SM Latincic. World J Gastroenterol. 2009 Jan 14;15(2):245-7. Link
- Two synchronous somatostationomas of the duodenum and the head of the pancreas in one patient, R Colovic, M Micev, S Matic, N Grubor, HDE Atkinson, S Latincic, World J Gastroenterol. 2009 Dec 14;15(46):5859-63. Link
- Cystic lympahangioma of the pancreas, R Colovic, N Grubor, M Micev, HDE Atkinson, VI Rankovic, MM Jagodic, World J Gastroenterol. 2008 Nov 28;14(44):6873-5. Link
- Fistula of a pancreatitic pseudocyst with the portal vein causing erythema nodosum and a septic polyarthritis R Colovic, N Grubor, C Vucetic, HDE Atkinson, In press 2010, Europ J Gastro Hepatol.
- Abdominal neurenteric cyst, R Colovic, M Micev, M Jovanovic, S Matic, N Grubor, HDE Atkinson, World J Gastroenterol. 14(23):3759-62, 2008. Link
- Portal cavernoma caused by a calcified hydatid cyst of the liver a case report, R Colovic, N Grubor, M Colic, N Colovic, HDE Atkinson, E J Gastro Hepatol, 2008;20(3):237-239. Link
- Tuberculous lymphadenitis as a cause of obstructive jaundice – a case report and literature review R Colovic, N Grubor, M Micev, T Jovanovic, N Colovic, HDE Atkinson, World J Gastroenerol. 2008;14(19):3098-100. Link
- Left-sided Gallbladder associated with Congenital Liver Cyst, R Colovic, N Colovic, HDE Atkinson, G Barisic, Z Krivokapic, HPB, Vol 8(2), 157-8, 2006. http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com Link
- Surgical Management of Inguinal hernia: retrospective cohort study in southeastern Scotland, 1985-2001, HDE Atkinson, S Purkayastha, SG Nicol, S Paterson-Brown. BMJ. 329(7478):1315-6, 2004. Link
- Early experiences with computed axial tomography colonography, F Serracino-Inglott, HDE Atkinson, P Jha, I Parker, DN Anderson, Am J Surg. 187(4):511-4, 2004. Link
- Choledochal Cysts in Adults and their Complications, HDE Atkinson, CP Fischer, CHC de Jong, KK Madhaven, RW Parks, OJ Garden, HPB, Vol 5(2), 105-110, 2003. www.taylorandfrancis.metapress.com Link
- Anaplastic Progression in low grade glioneural neoplasms, A Mitchener, HDE Atkinson, SB Wharton, IR Whittle, Acta Neuropathologica, Vol. 104, no. 2: 215, 2002. www.springerlink.com/app/home/contribution.asp?wasp=n1dr7rf9be3uuh9c26fk&referrer=parent&backto=issue,14,15;journal,20,122;linkingpublicationresults,id:100394,1 Link
- 104 Consecutive Biliary and Gastric Bypass Procedures for Malignant Obstruction of the Lower Bile Duct, JJ Casey, HDE Atkinson, KK Madhavan, OJ Garden. British Journal ofSurgery, Vol. 86, Suppl. 1, 77-8, 1999.
- Day case surgery for bilateral and recurrent inguinal hernias, HDE Atkinson, S Paterson-Brown. Br Ass Day Surg, 12th Annual Scientific Meeting 2001 Journal of one day surgery, Meeting supplement p 5, 2001.
- Changing Trends in the Surgical Management of Inguinal Hernias 1977-2000, HDE Atkinson, S Paterson-Brown, J.R.Coll.Surg.Edin,46(6):365-6,2001. Link
- Open Versus Laparoscopic Pre-Peritoneal Mesh Repair for Bilateral and Recurrent Inguinal Hernias, HDE Atkinson, S Paterson-Brown, J.R.Coll.Surg.Edin, 46(6):365, 2001.
- Management of Choledochal Cysts in Adults, HDE Atkinson, CP Fischer, K de Jong, KK Madhavan,RW Parks, OJ Garden, Br J Surg, 88(1):59,2001.
Medical Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Central nervous system relapse in CD56+, FLT3/ITD+ promyelocytic leukemia. Colovic N, Tomin D, Vidovic A, Tosic N, Atkinson HD, Colovic MD. Med Oncol. 2011 Feb 5. PMID: 21298367
- Immunochemotherapy for Bcl-2 and MUM-negative aggressive primary cutaneous B-cell non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, N Colovic, V Jurisic, T Terzic, HDE Atkinson, M Colovic. Arch Dermatol Res. 2009 Jun 3. [Epub ahead of print] Link
- More than a third of non-gastric MALT lymphoma patients have disseminated disease at diagnosis: A single center survey, M Sretenovic, M Colovic, N Suvajdzic, B Mihaljevic, M Todorovic, N Colovic, HDE Atkinson, Eur J Haematol. 2009 May;82(5):373-80. Link
- Outcomes of primary thyroid non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma: a series of nine consecutive cases, M Colovic, S Matic, E Kryeziu, D Tomin, N Colovic, HDE Atkinson, Med Oncol. 2007;24(2):203-8. Link
- Analysis of CD23 antigen expression in B-chronic lymphocytic leukaemia and its correlation with clinical parameters, V Jurisic, N Colovic, N Kraguljac, HDE Atkinson, M Colovic, Med Oncol. 2008 Jan 9 [Epub ahead of print].http://www.springerlink.com/content/qp633600p0471737/ Link
- Helicobacter Pylori eradication can induce platelet recovery in chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura N Suvajdic, B Stankovic, V Artiko, T Cvejic, VBulat, M Bakrac, M Colovic, V Obradovic, HDE Atkinson, Platelets, 17(4):227-30,2006. http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com
- ALK-negativeT-cell anaplastic large cell lymphoma associated with systemic lupus erythematosus, N Suvajdzic, R Stojanovic-Milenkovic, Z Tomasevic, V Cemerikic-Martinovic, B Mihaljevic, HDE Atkinson, Med Oncol. 20(4):409-12, 2003. www.humanapress.com/ArticleDetail.pasp?issn=1357-0560&acode=MO:20:4:409
- Boxers nose deformity as a complication in the course of acute myeloid leukaemia, N Suvajdzic, V Lazarevic, I Elezovic, HDE Atkinson Haema, Vol 6(2):250-252, 2003. www.mednet.gr/eae/haema/h62-18.htm
- In vitro sensitivity of haematopoietic progenitors to Tiazofurin in refractory acute myeloid leukaemia and the blast crisis of chronic myeloid leukaemia, M Colovic, D Sefer, A Bogdanovic, N Suvajdzic, G jankovic, P Milenkovic, HDE Atkinson, Cancer Letters, Vol 195(2): 153-159, 2003. www.sciencedirect.com/science
- Secondary Myelofibrosis in Visceral Leishmaniasis Case Report, N Suvajdzic, HDE Atkinson, M Pavlovic, S Misic, V Cemerikic, M Colovic, Haematologica, Vol. 31,No. 2: 167-171, 2001.
- Monocytoid B-cell Lymphoma Associated with Antibodies to Myelin-Associ ated Glycoprotein and Sulphated Glucoronyl Paragloboside, M Donfrid, HDE Atkinson, N Suvajdzic, S Apostolski, G Jankovic, V Cemerikic-Martinovic, M Colovic, Acta Haematologica,Vol. 106, No. 3: 130-2, 2001. http://content.karger.com
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) of the brain and correlation with the clinical presentation in the initial phase of Wilsons disease (WD), D Kozic, HDE Atkinson, V. Kostic, S. Pejovic, M. Svetel, R. Semnic, M. Lucic, Movement Disorders, Vol. 13, Suppl. 2, 194, 1998.
- The Role of MRI in Local Staging of Cervical Carcinoma, K Koprivsek, N Curcin, K. Dabic, M Lucic, HDE Atkinson, M Prvulovic, International Archives of Oncology, Vol. 5, No. 4:207-8, 1997.